OT need help with TH350 auto trans

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT need help with TH350 auto trans
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@RadOnc17.UCSF.Edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:18:36 -0700
ello All,
        Here's the symptoms- After driving the car for a couple of minutes
(never right after it is started) when the car is in drive (and only the
drives) and it is being held at a stop with the brake I get this weird
thumpa-thumpa-thumpa noise that feel-sounds like its coming from right below
the drive pedals i.e. somewhere in the vicinity of the engine transmission
interface.  It also makes the noise sometimes when accelerating.
        Put the car up on jackstands this weekend and took a look.  All the
engine transmission mounts appear to be solid and tight.  No visible signs
of wear on the rubber bits.  I checked the tightness in the mounting bolts
for the engine and transmission mounts and they seem to be fine.
        I did find that one side of the steering rack was pretty darn loose
and tightened it up.  I didn't know how to check the flywheel/ torque
converter attachment.  I tried to wiggle it and move it and I could not see
any movement wrt the two.  Though some of the teeth on the flywheel have
seen better days.
        I dropped the Jag down and took it for a test spin.  NO NOISE!!! I
thought it might have been the steering rack?  Went down the street u-turned
and came back and while I was stopped in drive it started again.  The noise
is not 100% consistent and that's part of why its hard for me to diagnose.
        Any ideas?  Remember that this is for a TH350 auto trans.
        Thanks,
                Daniel Neuman
                Oakland CA
                72 XJ6L and 69 2000