new temp sender on my 67 1600

To: "Datsun Forum" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: new temp sender on my 67 1600
From: "datsun_sports" <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:42:21 -0700
Hi all,

I have removed the washer from the head and finished the install of my
aftermarket temp gauge. It seems to be working well. The car is running a
little hot - around 200. I need to get a new cap for the overflow tank still
and am wondering if that might be why. Anyway my roadster budget is not
large. The gauge I used for the temp and the ammeter (I have an oil pressure
one also - not installed) was from checker. They are made by equus. The temp
gauge is the 6510 chrome and the ammeter is the 6500 chrome. The temp sender
came with two adapters. The smaller adapter fit the block and the temp
sender mounted into this. It fit well and is not leaking at this time. The
adapter is a little shorter than the stock and is the same thread. I had to
remove the water pipe above it to put a wrench on it. The sender is wired to
the gauge so I could not put a socket on the temp sender retaining nut
itself. The ammeter was easy to install and is working as well. Just thought
I would pass this on for someone looking for a low budget alternative. The
gauges were both less the $15.00 each and look old timey. They have a black
series also. You can look them up on partsamerica.com.
The fuel gauge was working when I started the car but while I was sitting in
it monitoring the temp. It dropped to zero. The temp sender is not wired
into the harness at all so the plugs for the original temp gauge are not
connected to anything. Im no electrical expert. Can these just be taped off?
Any idea on what to check on the fuel gauge? I think the relay is good.

Thx for the help,

Mike in Las Vegas