OT-110V to 230V

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT-110V to 230V
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@RadOnc17.UCSF.Edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 11:00:46 -0700
Hello All,
        I have an appliance that can run on 110V or 230V (it auto switches
says the manual).  The super wonderful and informative manual says to 'just
cut off the 15A 110V plug and attach a 230V 30amp plug....  I have a 230V
outlet in my garage that is for a dryer.  Its got a funky looking 3 prong
plug where the prongs are set in a triangle.  I unscrewed the outlet and
tested the voltages at the wires.  This outlet has only three wires, red,
black, white.  There is 230 between the red and black and 115V between
red-white, black-white.  I think this is what my sunset home wiring book
calls a 'straight' 230V outlet with two hots and one ground and no neutral.
I believe that the red and black wires are the hots and the white wire is
the ground.  The cord from the appliance has the standard black, white,
green wires.
        I am thinking that I can hook black (outlet) to black(app) and
red(outlet) to white(app) and white (outlet) to green (app)?
        What say you?  I really want the extra power available at 230V but I
don't want to blow anything up.
   Thanks,
        Daniel Neuman
        Oakland CA