Thought "It Would Never Happen to Me"

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thought "It Would Never Happen to Me"
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 17:50:30 -1000

(Taking a risk with that subject line--looks like spam, but it
isn't)

I've seen a lot of traffic in the past about an electrical
problem which causes the loss of instrument indications, and has
"something to do" with a voltage regulator underneath the dash.
Never paid much attention, because, for some strange reason, I
thought I'd never experience that problem.

Wrong.

I was proceeding down the mountain, today in "kanaka overdrive"
(transmission in neutral, ignition off), when it came time to put
it in gear and release the clutch, the engine started normally,
but "fuel and "temp" remained at bottom scale - oil pressure was
normal, and "amps" remained static at the middle.  (BTW, gasoline
is now $2.23 here, so don't criticize the "KOD" ;-).)

I realize that the oil pressure gauge is mechanical on a '68, and
that's the reason that remained working.

Please remind me of what has been said (many times in the past),
about how to fix this problem.

Thanks,

Dave
'68 1600