Yet another tire question (Age Follow Up)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Yet another tire question (Age Follow Up)
From: "Ryan Bird" <birdman@myrealbox.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:20:08 -0700
Hello All,

It has been a while since I read about this subject, but could someone please
enlighten me regarding the optimal tire size for stock rims?

Why you might ask, well, all the recent discussion about tire aging prompted
me to check the DOT stamp on mine, 382, or almost eleven years old...  The car
has been garaged most its life, but could probably use some new tires anyway.
Something tells me that there is not a lot of sense in buying long tread
wearing tires, as the most this car is going to get is 3000 or so miles a
year.  Recommendations on tire size, rating, manufacture,etc are appreciated.

I have been wanting to go for some fancy rims, but my first speeding ticket
(in the Roadster mind you) in ten years will probably slow down that option
once again.

I was trying to explain to the cop that I was testing the carbs as they were
hitting a dead spot around 4000 rpm...  He wasn't too cooperative or
sympathetic.  :(

Ryan Bird
67 1600
Tempe, AZ  www.azroc.org/ryan

How I read my Tires:
All pre 2000 tires have the last three digits, the first two are the week, and
the final digit is the year of manufacture...  So 382 is the 38th week of
'92...  For all 2000 Year+ DOT ratings, the final two digits specify year, so
on my Hondo Odyssey it was something like 2002, or 20th week of '02...  I
couldn't find the DOT numbers on my old Firestone tires until I looked on the
other side (read underneath the car) of the tire...