Re: OT 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Speedometer

To: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: OT 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Speedometer
From: "Gary K. McCormick" <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:16:56 -0700
Speedos work by magnetic "drag" between a magnet spun by the cable and the
spring-loaded needle (what you see on the dial) via a metal plate. The faster
the magnet spins, the more force is exerted on the needle, the further the
spring is deflected and the more the needle rotates. Could be that a little bit
of crud or something blocked the needle's movement, and then worked itself loose
a few miles later.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA
SRL311-13291   whose speedometer functionality is a moot point at the present
time ;^)