RE: Hood rust

To: "'Gary Boone'" <gaboone70@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Hood rust
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:24:42 +0930
Hi Gary and list,
rust requires 2 things to develop, moisture and air.
While is it relatively simple to deny metal air(oxygen), sealing out
moisture is a real challenge.
In areas like you describe, I would wire brush or media blast the
surface back to bare steel, cut out any perforated areas, replace with
metal patches and treat with a metal prep product such as
De-oxidine/Metal Conditioner (a Phosphoric Acid type
convertor/degreaser).
Once treated, rinse with clean water, spray all areas and crevices
with Methylated Spirits (de-natured alcohol) and blow dry with
de-humidified compressed air.
Use a heat gun too if you really want to dry everything completely.
Then use a good quality etch primer to cover all bare areas.
Thin it well so it creeps between the panels.
>From there on you can use a Seam Sealer to exclude further moisture.
BUT, there is an old Eskimo saying that goes: -
"You can seal water IN, but you can not seal water OUT!"
So be careful if you decide to use a Seam Sealer, copious amounts of
primer and topcoat may be all that is required, especially the under
hood where the environment is USUALLY protected from rain and airborn
grit and is kept warm by the engine heat.
There are no guarantees, but it will be better than what was done in
the factory 30+ years ago!
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 PL510 2 door - in storage.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
Adelaide, South Australia.