found brake howl reason, R-16 ad seen

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: found brake howl reason, R-16 ad seen
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:09:44 -0700
Two things:
in putting on my new wheel centers, I was examining closely the brake set-up
as my front brakes have howled at very low speeds when pressed gently.  Not
a scraping sound, but a high pitched howl.  Done this since I swapped out
new calipers & pads.  Bedded them fine.  It got to the point that when we
all pulled up into the park at Solvang I rolled down to a slow pace and then
used the hand brake to stop, I was so embarassed at the ear piercing sound.
So this weekend I found that the front, left, outer brake pad (noise coming
predominantly from this side) has about .010-.020 play, you can wiggle it,
while the inner has none.  So I think that when I apply the brakes gently
the pad shimmies, causing the loud noise.
Anyone think I have the right target?  Should I make a shim for the back
side of the pad, or is there another cure I am missing?

Second thing:  saw this in local ad paper.  have no info or knowledge of
seller.

Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA

FOR SALE
Price $500.00 OBO
Ad Text Datsun 1600 ''R'' Engine out of Roadster. Was rebuilt and only run
for a few hours and then put on an engine stand. Comes with Engine stand.
C O N T A C T   I N F O R M A T I O N
Name Pat , Phone (661) 878-3864 (San Fernando Valley), eMail PDModlin@cs.com