Ammeter /alt question

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ammeter /alt question
From: "Amy & Erik" <erikandamy@integraonline.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 22:49:10 -0600
IT lives!
Runs and everything.  First time in over a year.  Keep in mind that it was
only very minor projects that kept me from driving it, not a complete resto
or anything fun like that.

On my first drive, I found the ammeter dipping midway into the negative,
turn on the lights and it goes far to the negative.  Correct me if I am
wrong, but I thought that if you had a low battery and load that the ammeter
should go higher.

Background:  1969 2L 1600
I did the alternator swap, and installed a Gary Boone special along with a
bunch of non-electrical stuff.
I replaced the wire leading from the alt to the splice by the firewall that
leads to the gauge, and added a 30A fuse.  Added a new ground wire from the
alt, and extended the wires leading to the regulator.  I don't know what of
this would be the culplrit.  Nothing else was changed (other than the EI
conversion- which works very nice by the way)
My alt has 4 wires coming out of it to the harness.  In its previous
location, only three were hooked to anything and it worked fine.  (This is
how the harness plug
looked)http://www.geocities.com/smedly_whiplash/misc_image/wires.jpg

In case you can't tell, I am a novice mechanic and electronics is my weakest
area.  Can anyone recomend a book on car electronics?

OT
Anyone seen this?  It's so ugly that I love it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2409352970&cat
egory=6188

Oh- and don't forget my website, though if you ever look at it, you may
think I forgot about it.
http://www.geocities.com/smedly_whiplash/
Erik Smeby
2L1600