Re: A great roadster day./ another car/homeless story

To: dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A great roadster day./ another car/homeless story
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:04:36 EST
In a message dated 3/31/03 2:17:55 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu writes:

snip.....

> all these people kept asking us what year it was..never
> happened to us before..

"What year is that...?"  I get that ALL the time... since they day I got it.
I have a theory that folks are sort of afraid to ask "What is it? " for  fear
of feeling stupid. The year question kind of "breaks the ice ". Of couse,,,
being the brat that I am I usually just answer "1970" - then look at them, in
great anticipation of the next obvious question....

snip again....

> After a bit we had to leave and as we were getting in the car a 'employment
> challenged"
> gentleman drinking his lunch out of a 40 oz bottle in a paper sack stopped
> to ask me
> about the car. "Hey thats a nice car there,..does it have the third seat in
> the back?..
> I used to have one with the third seat." Wow I was a bit impressed.

This reminds me of something that happened to Mark w/ his Cortina at the
Circle K one day.....   you find the enthusiats in the oddest places....
here, I'll let him type:

  Mark Types:
    I stopped at the store on my way home and was accosted by a member of the
domicile-free.  He perked up at the whiff of high octane (100LL)  exhaust and
looked up with bleary eyes.
  "<sniff> High test?"
  "Yeah..."
" Hey that's a Cortina!"
 "Why yes, yes it is," said I (Noone including the local Ford dealer knows
what it is)
" I haven't seen one of these in years!   I used to work at Cooper Ford in
SoCal back when. We built up a couple of those...."
    ...and he proceded to tick off all of the mods that had been made to my
engine when I first got the car 15 years ago from the second owner - who
bought it slightly used and well tweeked from - guess where....   turns out
he was the tech who built up the engine years ago.  By the time we got done
talking cars, he had clean forgotten about begging for the small change to
buy the next 6-pak.

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
AzROC