Backyard machinist drilling tips

To: printner@comcast.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Backyard machinist drilling tips
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:09:59 +0000
I use ordinary motor oil in a
lever action squirt can, or in one of
my collection of antique push on the bottom
oil cans...but anyway the beauty of this
is when the oil starts smokin your drilling
too fast and in danger of taking the temper
off your bit.  Soon as that happens your
JPF and its new bit time. You can usually
not even sharpen these bits because they
will get dull again in about a second.  You
can try to heat and quench them again...

Ordinary
high speed steel bits will last a long time
if a little care is used to not run them too
fast, and to take a brake to cool the bit
and add more oil quite frequently.
When they get dull, these bits can
be successfully sharpened.

There is my two cents as a practical
machinist/engineer.

Oh yea....JPF = Just Plain um....foolish

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia