RE: Engine Questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Engine Questions
From: Ken Mack <dkmt@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 06:52:41 -0800
Hmmmmm...

I would have to say... I don't know what I want to do with the engine
yet.  Since I don't own the car, and have never driven one, I have no
opinion to base my needs on.  It is a small, light car that comes stock
with 150Hp (I think)... and that is more than 75% of the modern 4 cyl.
compacts on the market.  Plus it has an FR setup, which you can hardly
find on ANY new car now a days.  So I would think... this roadster is
very quick, nimble, and fun to toss around (aside from those skinny
stock tires).

In an N/A form, I could see 200HP being very adequate for the car,
concentrating on top end power, raising the rev levels a bit, and then
blowing the rest of my money on a really good suspension setup (This car
will definitely be seen at Thunder Hill).  Oh, then of course... $$$ for
making the car PERTY!

I'd love to see it with an SR20DET (and may actually try someday)... but
even the N/A SR engine requires you to hack the frame to allow room for
the crank pulley and transmission bell.  Unfortunately I do not have
access to welding or cutting devices to allow me to engine swap like
this, so I'd like to see what I can get out of a U20... when I get it
that is.

How are the flow characteristics of the head?  Would the car benefit
from a nice Port and Polish job? Matched valves? I've never heard of a
LOBELESS cam before.  Are there aftermarket cams available?  What about
an adjustable timing gear(would that even work on this)? Shaved head(but
not too much)?  What about the cylinder walls?  Is there enough room for
over boring?  And what about an L20 engine... how do those slide in?
I've read somewhere that you can put an FJ20 into a Roadster?  Is that
hard?  Can you still get those from Canada?

Just trying to ask some general questions so I can get answers and
opinions from as many people as possible.

Thanks again;
Ken