RE: Fuel sending unit ???

To: "'Dwight Woodruff'" <dwoodru1@tampabay.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Fuel sending unit ???
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:29:32 +1030
Dwight,
the BLACK wire should go to the chassis earth: check that this is so
with a test lamp or voltmeter.
He should be connected to the mounting flange of the fuel sender unit
to earth the fuel tank i.e. E for EARTH.
The YELLOW wire should go to the fuel gauge: check that this is so by
earthing it, with the ignition on, the gauge should go to very full.
He should be connected to the G terminal i.e. G for GAUGE.
The typical result of having the wires frack to bunt, is a resistive
earth (thru the sender reistor coil) to a gauge wire which is
connected to an unreliable earth on the fuel tank metal: could read
anything!!!
However, trust me, your wife will not be collecting any insurance
money on this point UNLESS you use a naked flame to check the fuel
level with the cap off!
BTW, I measured the fuel sender the other day for another lister:
empty should be approx. 14 ohm, full should be approx. 95 ohm.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 P510 2 door - in storage.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
Adelaide, South Australia.