Fwd: from the alfa group re CA Smog laws

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: from the alfa group re CA Smog laws
From: Geegc@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:05:26 -0500
To: alfa-digest@digest.net
From: "j.mozart" <alfa-sport@excite.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:21:17 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-alfa@digest.net

 The text below was copied form the new proposal for Californias Clean Air
State Implementation Plan (see :  www.arb.ca.gov/sip/scsip03/scsip_03.htm  ).

Halt Rolling 30-year Exemption at pre-1974 Vehicles:  Originally, the Smog
Check inspection program applied to all 1966 and newer gasoline vehicles.  In
1997, the State Legislature modified the Smog Check program to exempt pre-1974
vehicles, and beginning in January 2003, to exempt motor vehicles 30 or more
model-years old.  Unfortunately, older vehicles contribute a disproportionate
amount of emissions (despite their relatively low numbers and use) so excluding
these older vehicles from the program reduced the effectiveness of the Smog
Check program.  Eliminating the 30-year rolling exemption in order to keep all
1974 and newer vehicles in the program would achieve additional emission
reductions in future years.  In addition, these vehicles would also be eligible
for other BAR assistance programs such as vehicle retirement and repair
assistance.  If legislation eliminating the 30-year rolling exemption were
passed, this proposed Smog Check improvement option would apply to both the
Basic and Enhanced Smog Check inspection program areas.

I suggest we all write letters to our elected officials to express our
opposition to this revision of the 30 year rolling smog check exemption.  These
idiots want to force old cars off of the roads and into assisted retirement,
just so they can feel that they are doing their job.  In reality, 30 year old
cars account for a minute fraction of the vehicle population, and in effect
contribute nothing to the state pollution problems.

Peter

end.
--
to be removed from alfa, see http://www.digest.net/bin/digest-subs.cgi