Who I am

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Who I am
From: "lonestar" <lonestar@cmc.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 10:03:33 -0800
Hello all --

I've been lurking on the list for a couple of weeks now and decided it was
time to come out of the shadows.

My name is Conley Phillips. I'm a 54 yr. old computer operations
manager for a communications firm in Eugene, Oregon. I settled into this
position after almost 20 years in aerospace, my last billet being Senior
Operations Engineer at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA. I
confess that work was infinitely more satisfying but I couldn't realistically
commute from Oregon, so here I am.

My wife of 34 years is an accountant and licensed tax consultant. She is
also fanatical about her Scottish Terriers, MacGregor and Fergus (aka
The Boys). We have two children, although at 30 and 28, it's hard to
think of them as children. Our son is a webpage developer and software
consultant, living in Florida. Our daughter is a psychologist in Montana
and is getting married next August.

My decision to come out of the shadows is due to the fact I am headed
north tomorrow morning to pick up my first Roadster, an early '67 1600.
I'd give you the VIN # but I lost the piece of paper I wrote it on. I've been
threatening to buy one for a few years and decided it was time to take
the plunge.

I grew up in Texas and my dad was always trying to find 'a faster car'. He
was primarily interested in drag racing and in my younger days, I
followed his lead. Somewhere in my late teens, I realized there was a
great deal more to cars than going fast in a straight line. However, not
being born with the proverbial silver spoon, I had to scale down my
desires; no Corvettes or Porsches in my future. And, of course, there was
the wife... and the kids... I did manage to spend some time behind the
wheel of a VW Karmann Ghia but it only lasted as long as it took for the
kids to fill the tiny back seat. I conceded I would have to wait until the
nest was empty. Except for the dogs, of course.

So, that's my story... most of it, anyway. I'm really looking forward to
owning this Roadster. I know a couple of really sweet back roads that
ought to provide a lot of fun....

Happy Roadstering --

-- Conley