OT-Chevy 383 build up questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: OT-Chevy 383 build up questions
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:04:50 -0800 (PST)
 All,
        I have decided that over the winter I am going to build up a 383 to put
in the S1 xj6.
This is going to be a true car crafter experience with me trying to buy
everything I need as cheaply as possible from ebay.
I am going to pick up the 350 from the 72 impala this weekend.  I have not seen
it yet but what the heck at that price ($80) how
could I go wrong? The engine is complete except for the carb.  The seller says
it has some sort of 'rare factory high rise manifold' on it?
My plan is to take it apart and sell every thing I don't need in order to raise
cash for the rebuild.
I have already won what a hope will be a nice set of almost new heads, Dart
Sportsman 2's see them here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1866952221&rd=1
For the internals I really like this 'kit' this company is selling for $825
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871589218
I have heard great things about the crank, rods, and pistons. Plus it has the
6" rods from that article somebody posted a while back.
For induction I am thinking edlebrock performer intake with the edlebrock
600cfm carb. These are available regularly on ebay.
Here are some questions for you experts.
What do you think about my choices so far?  Does the carb seem small to you?
What camshaft grinds would anyone recommend?
What other parts would anyone recommend.
My goal is to get an honest 400rwhp in an engine that makes its torque from
idle up to 5500rpm.  I also want it to be bullet proof reliable to
power the XJ till cars are not powered by gasoline anymore.
                Thanks,
                        Daniel Neuman
                        72 XJ6L 350/350
                        Oakland CA