Sloppy Shift Lever Fix

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sloppy Shift Lever Fix
From: "SlowBoy" <slowboy@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:30:39 -0700
I remember seeing posts from people who wanted to tighten up there sloppy
stick shift.  What I didn't see were answers.  I just finished mine and this
is what I did:

Front to rear slack was removed with a nylon washer.  The washer thickness was
determined by the gap between the front of the control arm and the tail
housing.  The inside diameter was 5/8's, about the size of the strike rod.  I
cut it like a "C" clip and snapped it in place.

Door to door slack was removed with pressure.  I replaced the strike rod pin
with a shanked hex cap bolt, two flat washers, a lock washer nut all grade 8
and cranked them down very tight.  With the new rubber boot I have little
movement.  Which is superior to the 5 inch swing I use to have.

The bolt is 1/4-20x1-1/2 and I cut off the excess threads but you don't have
to.

//
//