RE: New Roadster Driver

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: RE: New Roadster Driver
From: Mitch Planck <mitch@ias.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:18:23 -0400
I learned to drive stick in the same Roadster I'm now restoring. I'm
guessing that my dad showed me some stuff, but I don't really remember that,
I remember going back and forth in the driveway before I had it roadworthy.
It wasn't a long driveway but it was gravel, which probably helped. I taught
my wife to drive stick while we lived in Japan - she had to learn that and
how to drive on the right side of the road at the same time! The vehicles
weren't quite as fun thought, a Toyota Corolla wagon, and some of those
funky Japan market only miniature vans, one was a Subaru Domingo with a sun
roof over the passenger compartment. One night I got that van stuck in a
tunnel - it got jammed against the ceiling and I had to back out, we
normally took the Toyota that way and it fit down that tunnel. And then
there was the time we borrowed a friends car - a Japan market equivalent to
the Altima (back in '92) and we drove across the mountains to Kyoto and on
the way back the brakes overheated on the curves and downslopes and I got
quite scared for a bit going around a curve with the brake pedal doing
nothing and downshifting in an automatic not helping much, with oncoming
traffic. And if you've ever been on those small highways in the mountains in
Japan you'll know what I'm talking about - many of the curves are one lane
with a mirror to see if there's oncoming traffic so someone can stop, kind
of like in the hills in Kentucky you drive around the blind curves honking
your horn in warning. But I ramble, anyways, happy roadstering and have a
happy, safe Labor Day weekend.

Mitch Planck
Chelsea, MI (in Kentucky for the weekend camping at Natural Bridge SP)
'69 1600
'70 1600