an engineering question re: NITROMETHANE (OT!)(LONG)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: an engineering question re: NITROMETHANE (OT!)(LONG)
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:59:56 +0000
For all you armchair engineers:
Recently in the office we were talking about the
speed and power of chainsaw powered nitro fueled
go-carts, and then were talking about fast cars.

One of the guys is a RC Plane guy, and said its not
hard to get a bottle of NitroMethane, its sold for
people who mix their own RC Plane fuel (Nitro,
alcohol, castor oil).

My question is:  What happens when you add this
stuff to gas?  Will it mix with gas?
Will it have higher octane and allow more
spark advance, or will it work in other
positive ways, like have a higher power
density charge to the mixture (more energy calories/BTUs?)

Would there be any negative impact?  Blow up
the engine?  Recommended mixture rate?
Would it eat up the carb gaskets and fuel lines?

Would innocent bystanders be able to tell non-pump
gas was being used? (like, for example, at an
autocross, would your roadster smell like a
Nitro Dragster??)

Hey, its a rainy day before a long weekend,
thought this would stimulate some intellectual
thought!

Best Regards,
Jim C.
Chesapeake Va