driving

To: "Datsun Forum" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: driving
From: "Mike" <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 04:49:38 -0700
I learned to drive a stick in British green 260Z. at the time my dad was
stationed at he rock island arsenal in Illinois. for the first 6 months he
rented a farm house off post. it was nice. anyways I almost hit a barn,
coming down a hill I shifted into neutral and did not know it, and almost
took out a fence post on a sharp corner. I had a problem of popping the
clutch and killing the engine so my dad was kind enough to show what I was
doing about 20 times in a row. I then proceeded to floor the pedal and pop
the clutch getting my first tire spin out of it. I made it to the end of the
long dirt drive when I stopped. he then said "that was better but lets do it
without all the dirt in the air". I learned other famous sayings as well:

"don't look at me look at what my feet are doing"

"don't take a bearing off a point on the hood. look ahead" of course this
never entered my mind until he said it. the post thing.

"watch the barn!" while I was learning to back up.

and the best one was:

"this is going to be me traumatic for me then it will you" im still not
sure.

car took it like champ. he sold it when we got sent to Kuwait in the mid
80's. I wanted the car bad but he said at my age the insurance would have
killed him.

mike in las vegas