Engine Swap Almost Complete

To: "Roadster Mail Group" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Swap Almost Complete
From: "audela2" <audela2@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:51:38 -0700
We have almost completed the engine swap.  Our '64 Roadster now has a 5 main
R16 to replace the 3 main one it came to us with.  It's been an eye-opening
experience; I always wondered why the car looked so narrow in the rear.  We
suspect the rear assembly has been replaced with a non-Roadster part.  While
trying to remove the drive shaft it became apparant almost immediately that it
is not like our other Roadsters.  After unbolting everything from a definitely
different drive shaft, it just wouldn't drop away.  It's as if there is
something inside the differential holding on to it.  We ended up pulling &
replacing the engines with the drive shaft in place, which made for some
interesting moments trying to get everything to line up.

We still have a lot of work left to complete the swap, but we are looking
toward the future.  Following are some questions we are hoping to get feedback
on:

Can we install a '68 differential into a '64?
Can we convert the 13" tires to 14"?
Any ideas on possible brake upgrades?  We're leaving our '64 1500 as is, but
this one will ultimately be a daily driver, so we're interested in additional
safety.

Thanks!
Charlotte & Leonard Hoover
Phoenix, Arizona