Re: GM Alt Conv

To: "datsun list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GM Alt Conv
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 05:53:19 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: milton3 <milton3@pobox.com>

> Be careful with the field wire.  One might think you could just run it
> from the unswitched power at the battery.  If you do, the roadster won't
> respond when you remove the key - she'll keep right on purring.
> Basically, the circuit will reverse and power the ignition stuff through
> the alternator.  Make sure the line is switched, and you might add a diode
> for good measure.

  BTDT!  Made several calls from the garage while my 1600 ran on after
pulling the key!  On my 1969 1600, I ran the field wire to the power for the
radio and fan (I think it is blue).  I don't have any 'extras' on the car
except some 55 watt driving lights, and I'm running a late model V6 Camaro
65 amp alternator.  I have the output wire running to the battery and a
second wire to the old 'hot' wire; both with 30 amp fuses.  The only problem
I had was when I let my battery get very low and popped the fuse.  An hour
on the charger and all was well again.

Paul Kort
BTW, I also moved the alt to the passenger side of the block.