Re: Wiring in a GM internally regulated alt.

To: matthew peterson <pete_303@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Wiring in a GM internally regulated alt.
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:46:53 -0500 (CDT)
Matt,

If you have a single wire alternator, you don't need any other connections
to change the battery, although, as you say, you run the chance of blowing
the ammeter without putting a 10 Ga. wire from the output of the
alternator to the battery.

If you have a standard GM alternator, the parts guy is correct. The
standard alternator needs an external voltage to get the excitation power
to the alternator. The single wire alternator gets this internally.
As I recall the two connections on the plug on the alternator are two
completely different connections. One is for the excitation and the second
one runs the idiot light on the dash. Better make sure which one you
connect power to before you run the new wire. If you want yo can add a
charge light using the other pin by running it to a dash light and from
the light to switched 12V power.

If you don't know for sure which type you have, just wait until the car is
running and see if it charges the battery. The ammeter will show you in a
few seconds. Oh, in order to get the single wire alternator running you
have to rev the engine about about 2000 RPM for a second and it will kick
in. The normal GM alternator doesn't need this revving.

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 Texas Longhorns, #C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712 USA

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, matthew peterson wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been following the thread on wiring up a GM alternator and I have a
few questions.  I have mine wired up with the white wire attached to the
output lead and nothing else.  If I don't run a 10 GA. wire directly from
it to the battery I run the risk of blowing the ammeter.  Is this correct?
The guy at the place I bought the alternator told me to connect one of the
other two wires coming out the alternator up to the wire that was hot going
into the old regulator when the ignition is on.  Is this nessecary?  I don't
have the car running yet but I don't want to wreck something once it gets going.