OT: Why I hate working on cars other than Roadsters!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT: Why I hate working on cars other than Roadsters!
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:54:10 -0500 (CDT)
I just spent a day and a bit working on my '97 Dodge 3/4 ton Ram Van. The
tune up went really well, just 8 plugs. So did the air filter change. But
it took about 4 more hours to change the thermostat! They hide it so you
can't see it from either inside the car, or outside! A reall PITA to scrape
where you think gasket material is still pn place, then break out the mirror to
see if you are scraping in the right place. Things could have been designed
much better here folks!

Next, it was on to the rear axle. Wheel bearings this time, and new brake
shoes. Whoever decided that it was better (cheaper?) to use bearings that
use the axle as the inner race needs to be shot. When a bearing goes out
it generally takes the axle with it. One side was fine, the other needs a
new axle to the tune of $280! It would have cost maybe an additional dime
to design the axle assy to use a dual race bearing instead of this poor
excuse for design work! With the axle costing so much, and probably not
that common a problem, it will be a couple of days until it comes in.
Until then the van is up on blocks waiting for the "shaft".

Brakes went fine, they are the standard drum brakes that have been in use
for decades. At least they did SOMETHING right!

Well, I ran out of time today, so I wasn't able to get under the Roadster
and adjust the clutch. I will probably be able to do it tomorrow while I
wait for the Dodge parts!

I think I will go for a top down ride this evening to return the bearing
puller, that should calm me down a bit!

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 Texas Longhorns, #C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712 USA