Re: Carbon fiber parts

To: "Thomas - Sweden" <csp311@telia.com>,
Subject: Re: Carbon fiber parts
From: mtyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 18:36:30 -0500
Thomas - Sweden wrote

>Would anyone know if it's possible to make
>epoxy resin parts (carbon/kevlar fiber) in a
>polyester (fibreglass) mould? How long does
>epoxy resin parts last? Polyester/fibreglass
>parts last at least 30 years or so (depending
>on exposure) before it starts to crack.

With the proper parting agent, there'd be no reason why not.  I don't
know if carbon fiber is always vacuum bagged or if it is ever laid up in
the old fashion, however.  You can use epoxy resin with glass fiber.  No
idea on actual longevity...it's still pretty new.
     My brother is building a homebuilt airplane (RV_7).  From his
experience with composite gliders like the Grob, he is going with
aluminum.  Of course if a fender fails, it's ugly...if an airframe part
fails, you're falling, falling, falling.
-Marc