Snake Oil and the ZCCA National Convention

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Snake Oil and the ZCCA National Convention
From: "Donna and Terry Cost" <tcost@hot.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:45:05 -0500
When I decided to rebuild my 67.5 Solex 2000 recently I was looking for a
good coating to put on the bearing surfaces in my engine.  I know Teflon is
a good dry coating, so I went to the local Wal-Mart and bought 20 rolls of
the Teflon tape you put around pipe joints.  It sticks to itself, so you
don't need to glue the ends to the finished wrap.  Wrap the main bearings
clockwise, looking from the harmonic balancer, and your rod bearings
counterclockwise.  You don't need those pesky bearing inserts at all, so
when you have the proper thickness of Teflon tape (use a good micrometer)
just bolt on the rod and main caps and torque everything down. Since you
still need oil to cool engine parts, make sure to poke holes through to the
oil passages.  I use a #10 awl for that, but a similar sized nail will do.
The Teflon tape also can be used for the crank seals, but you have to fold
the tape carefully to fit the groove. You can wrap the cam lobes the same
way, but be careful not to use too much Teflon tape because valve adjustment
will be difficult.  I know that oil passages may clog with a few drifting
pieces of tape, so I added an external oil pump with 200PSI working
pressure.  That blows those little pieces right through to the filter, which
I also modified.  I cut a filter open and stuffed it full of those steel
wool scrubbing pads with the soap in them.  To change filters, I just rip
off the duct tape at the cut, pull out the old steel wool, and stuff in
more.  Use good duct tape because of the extra oil pressure.  Since the oil
doesn't actually lubricate or clean any more I use the cheapest oil  I can
find. Used peanut oil from my deep fat fryer does a good job, but next oil
change I'm going to use new oil because the car (and this story) is starting
to smell fishy.

Thanks Marc Tyler for the picture of me and Terry Jr. at the ZCCA National
Convention in San Antonio.  "Mad Mike" Taylor is the Executive Director of
that organization, and his wife bought Morey Mast's black 2000.  She drove
it down to the convention from Dallas and is interested in joining TDROC.
Our website is tdroc.com if any of you want to look.  For you "newbies" out
there that's Texas Datsun Roadster Owners Club.  We have members from all
over the globe. We even have a few from California.  Come join us, if you
like.

Leisure Suit Terry