Re: 66 1600 oil sender

To: datsunmike@nyc.rr.com, lou_daly@yahoo.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 66 1600 oil sender
From: Bspark47@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 19:22:43 EDT
In a message dated 06/24/2002 4:11:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
datsunmike@nyc.rr.com writes:

> I put on a used 240 oil sender I had (it read correctly in the 240) and ran
>  into the same problem. I replaced it with the original one and it read
>  fairly correctly.
>
>  I too would like the answer to the Q.

Sending units, whether for pressure, temperature, whatever are generally
intended for use with a specific gauge. 'Most any sender is just a
temperature- (or pressure-) sensitive resistor,  designed to provide a
specific range of resistance values (and therefore gauge needle deflection)
for a specific range of conditions. If one were to substitute a sensor
designed to drive a 0-100 psi gauge for one designed to register from 0-60,
for example, the gauge would indicate low or high, depending on the design of
the sensor (sending unit).

Aftermarket senders and gauges are specified as sets for this reason, as is
the OE stuff. Ya cain't swap stuff around simply because it fits.

HTH

Bill
70