RE: Another diatribe from Sid

To: "'Mike Harper'" <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Another diatribe from Sid
From: "Greg Hare" <ghare@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:22:12 -0400
My two cents:

Sid, somebody took the time to bother to flame you for getting plates
made? And in a not-nice fashion? Sheesh.......... at least they didn't
flame you to the whole list.

It seems I remember back when I was a child, I was told:

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Don't discuss religion or politics (i.e. don't start or participate in
flame wars) in a "proper" setting.

http://members.tripod.com/wash_artillery/civilian3.htm has a good quote
from an old etiquette book: "Many men lose sight of the fact that the
object of conversation is to entertain and amuse, and that for society
to be agreeable, it should not be made an arena for dispute." A bit
Victorian perhaps, and maybe my memories are foggy and clouded with
rose-coloured glasses - maybe it really wasn't that way. Every
generation in history has bemoaned the next generation's lack of manners
and civility - the end of civilization seems always imminent. Still I
think that we as a society (those of you outside the US of course
excluded) seem to have lost the ability to discuss differences of
opinion politely and intelligently.

I believe I am starting to lose my focus here, so I'll close with "can't
we all just get along?"