RE: 2000 Engine Building/Rebuilding...

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 2000 Engine Building/Rebuilding...
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:39:08 -0700
The head:
Don't bother porting the head unless you are building a race motor. The stock
U20 head breathes just fine as it is. If you are having a valve job done, get a
good 3 or 4-angle valve job. If you feel like you absolutely HAFTA do something,
spend a day or two smoothing out the casting marks in the ports with some emery
cloth. You won't feel the difference, but you will feel better about having done
it.

Painting the block:
Tape off all the machined surfaces with masking tape and trim the edges with an
Exacto knife. Put a front cover up against the masking tape and cut around the
front cover. Same with the fuel pump, oil filter mount and distributor mount.
Twist pieces of tape into cones and stuff them into all the bolt holes, or use
junk bolts.

Pistons:
No, the originals were not knurled.

Lightening and balancing pistons and rods is easy if you are a machine shop.
Don't try it at home unless you want to blow up your motor.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA