Adjusting carbs question

To: "Roadster Mail Group" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Adjusting carbs question
From: "audela2" <audela2@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 19:05:59 -0700
I'm really new to adjusting SU carbs, and I have a situation I need help with.
I get some backfiring from one of the carbs, and when the engine is shut off
it still runs a few seconds, then dies with a puff of white smoke from the
carb.  The engine runs very roughly and heats up quickly, and I've read that
this could be because of a rich fuel mix.  Although all the guides talk about
adjusting the idle screw, I'm confused as to which direction makes the fuel
mix richer.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Charlotte & Leonard Hoover
'64 SPL310
'67 SPL311