overheating/66 1600

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: overheating/66 1600
From: "James M Koken" <james.m.koken@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 15:39:37 -0700
Hey list
This is a roadster question, not a commentary.
I have been rebuilding a 66 1600 engine the past 2 months.
The motor runs fine, but tends to run on the warm side. The gauge says 190,
and it feels like its hot..
'When it reaches this temp it starts to backfire (from the carbs), and looses
power. Like a vapor lock.
The rad is new, the dist is an EI, All engine components are new. Has the cast
iron head.
Thought there was too much slop  in the throttle shafts so tried other carbs,
helped a little.
Anyone had this happen before?
I've owned roadsters since the 70's and never had a car run this
warm......hot.
Oh yea, we are at 6000'  with alcohol in the gas. But my other cars run OK!
Any help is much appreciated.
thanks
Mike Koken
Colo. Springs