Lower timing chain problem

To: "'Datsun Roadsters'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lower timing chain problem
From: "reblues" <reblues@reblues.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 13:04:03 -0400
Finished tearing down my U20 over the weekend.  Everything was looking great.
As I started washing out the oil pan I found bright shiny metal peices.
Turned out to be broken rollers from the lower timing chain.  There are other
broken rollers still on the chain.   There is one tooth on the jackshaft
sprocket with a very small chip missing from one corner.  I can't see any
other damage.   The chain had less than 20,000 miles on it.

 As I tore the engine down I checked for missing or broken parts,  and did not
find anything else.  Everything I sifted out of the oil pan looked like peices
of the rollers.

My think I had a bad chain. I am going to replace the chain, new one already
on order, and put it back togeather.  The only hesitation is: could the
jackshaft gear or crank gear have a tooth off center that could cause a
failure like this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank You
Richard