Happiness is a warm radiator (long, the story of my car back on

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Happiness is a warm radiator (long, the story of my car back on
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 18:13:50 -0400
For all:
Got the SAKE RKT running!  Took it in and got it
inspected and road legal this morning.  For those of
you following my overheating problems, that led to
a diagnosis of bad head gasket (thanks to the list)
Its amazing how well the water pump
works when it pumps water instead of exhaust gas, and
instead of the car overheating with the radiator staying
cold, all works as it should.  I did have significant spark knock,
and retarded the timing a few degrees, probably due to the
head being shaved an additional .005.  (Stroker motor,
flat top pistons, who knows how much its already been
machined, I forgot to get it measured when I had it
trued up).  (it is way thicker than my skinny head though, for
those of you who remember my post "a tale of two heads")
I may also try disconnecting the vacuum advance,
as the spark knock goes away at full throttle.  I would rather
have power than fuel economy.  93 octane in the tank,
good as it gets here, unless I buy race gas.

Other things done, and results:
new clutch:  boy, sure is nice to have the clutch engage
about two inches off the floor, instead of near the top
of travel.  I did not use the throwout bearing in the kit,
the one on
the old assembly was perfect.  So if anyone needs one
cheap, let me know.

Tranny Rebuilt:  new gaskets, new speedo drive gear,
new 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 synchros.  4-5 synchro put in
reverse to use good side.  New bearing set.
Wow, nice to be able to downshift and not have to
double clutch!  Also, most of my oil leak must have been
the nice slippery red-line coming out of the tranny, now
my car just leaves a few drops from the rear main, instead
of a 6 inch diameter puddle.  I have 90W dinosaur oil in the
tranny and rear end now.  Red Line is wonderful stuff,
but not in the case of my car.

I read all the info on SU carbs I could find, and I got them
right this time!  (my car has early 240Z carbs).  Car
still has cool rough cammed up idle, but runs much much
smoother at low RPM than before.  I have the mixture
1.5 turns out, and a nice black exhaust pipe, but no black smoke
so I think its very close to right mixture wise also.  The lift the
plunger, engine slows down thing, is correct also.  Still, I may
try another quarter turn richer, as most folks say to start at
2 turns.  I think someone maybe modified my needles along
the way.

Wow, how fun to drive it instead of just work on it every night,
now if my tach and speedo would just come back from California
so I know how fast things are going, I would feel even better....

With all this, and lots lots more of little stuff I didnt bore the list with,
my $20 dollar weekend thermostat replacement turned into closer
to $2000, and two months of my spare time,
but was well worth it as soon as I
drove out of the driveway.

Best Regards,
Jim
67 pushrod 2L 5spd
72 510 sportwagon Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com