OT- Cracked 'bell housing' am I hosed?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: OT- Cracked 'bell housing' am I hosed?
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:01:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hello All,

        Well last night I finally got around to unwrapping the 'excellent
condition' 89 TH700R4 transmission.  There is a huge crack in what I would call
the bell housing.  It runs from just ahead of the end of the transmission pan
up following the curve about halfway to the top.  Of course the guy who sold it
to me now is turning out to be quite hard to reach.  He has canceled his aol
email account and ebay account...  The metal feels weird like die-cast metal or
what some people would call pot metal.  I'm guessing that its aluminum.  Am I
totally screwed?  Can this crack be welded?
        Thanks,
                Daniel 69 2000
                Oakland CA