FW: Timing gears...still.

To: "roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Timing gears...still.
From: "Peter Long" <Peter.Long@ecologic.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 17:09:08 -0400
I should stop while I'm ahead...

Not enough coffee today....the crank gear has 20 teeth, the big
jackshaft gear has 40 teeth (correct 2:1 ratio established...) then the
rear jackshaft gear has 24 teeth, and the cam has 24 teeth, maintaining
the speed established at the jackshaft.

Is the small 24 tooth jackshaft gear common to another car? (and
therefore easy to come by).

If so, there's the beginning of the solution - a gear that has the
correct pitch and diameter.  Get some machining done to adapt that
large, keyed hole to the cam, and there you have it.

If that small jackshaft gear is not common, go out and find an off the
shelf gear matching the pitch and diameter of the cam gear, and do the
same adaptation.

The first one won't be cheap (unless you have free access to an accurate
rotary milling machine), but it's not an insurmountable problem

I'm through.......