Re: Shimmy

To: JWHAUN@aol.com
Subject: Re: Shimmy
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:03:24 -0700
> My 64 1500 has developed a "shimmy" in the steering wheel. I've been
> ignoring it sort of but thought I'd better look into it before a wheel falls
>off
> or something.

After you check the obvious, check for the non-obvious.

Right before Shasta last year I got new tires. Driving home I found
I had a shimmy. Upon close inspection I found a slightly bent rim. (Jack
up the car, spin the wheel and check side runout. If there's any, pull the
wheel and recheck at the hub to rule out bent axle/spindle).  I figured
the rim was already bent but the new tires threw off the balance, so I
took a spare rim (Thanks Ray!) and got the tire swapped.

The shimmy was even worse.

Bottom line: The driveline u-joint was going bad, and had managed to
start shaking the bolts loose! Pure coincidence that it waited for a tire
swap to show up. I ended up swapping drivelines the morning of the trip
up north - lots of last minute fun and excitement.

-- John