RE: Re: Fuel Filter (Vaporlocking)

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Fuel Filter (Vaporlocking)
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:06:59 -0600
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 09:35 Greg Burrows wrote:
>... Also, the SU's (which I assume you have) have little screen
>filters in the tee-fittings that attach to the float bowls.  These
>often get plugged up with crap and might be starving your carbs.
>Hey, I wonder if this might be what is contributing to that person
>who is having the "vapor lock" problem we have been trying to figure
>out???

Thanks for thinking of it, but no.. Due to the crap gas they sell
around here (notably ethanol in the winter), I've changed my fuel
filter 3 times this last winter, and cleaned/checked the screen
filters twice.

  I swapped out a carb piston yesterday - I've been having problems
with the rear carb needle binding just a teensy bit at the bottom
(idle).  The piston has this little screw/gizmo at the bottom; the
only thing I can figure is it's for keeping the piston raised a teensy
hair above the throttle body (ridge thingy) :) . The Ztherapy one's
screw was rusted and below flush. The swapped one rotated and was
sticking out a hair above. Seems like it's a wee bit smoother, but
need to take it into town to try the traffic/lights..
  Other things: I don't think I have problems with fuel return flow;
if I pinch the return line between the valve and firewall, the car
starts to sputter.
  Am pretty suspicious it's *something* in the carbs, altho I have no
idea WHAT, since the problem existing with the previous carbs
too. Thinking about trying some kind of electric fan pointed at the
carbs; that eliminated the vaporlock problem in another roadster in
this area.

dan neff    '69 2000
colorado springs, co
www.wycroc.org