Re: speedo

To: lou daly <lou_daly@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: speedo
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:49:21 -0600
Lou,

Uh oh... there is a short metal part, about 1" long,
that goes between the 90 degree elbow and the transmission.
Hope it wasn't lost! Look at both the elbow, and into the
the transmission.

Most of my speedometer failings are due to a failed
speedo drive gear inside the transmission. This assembly
is held into place with a simple metal tab & 1/4" (early)
or 6mm (later) bolt.

With the rear of the car firmly on jackstands, you should
be able to crawl underneath and remove the speedo cable,
the inspect for the drive pinion to rotate as you spin
the rear wheel (using your foot... sounds odd, until you
get under there and try it). Oh, quite often a small mirror
will help to see things.

Also not a bad idea, while you are under there, to undo
the 1600's elbow from the speedo cable. You should be
able to slide the cable out, wipe it down, and relube
it lightly with white lithium grease.

When you get that inner cable back into the speedo, push
and turn is a little as it is getting towards the end.
This will help get that square end back into speedometer.

Speedo's were all calibrated the same.  68 1600's typically
had 120 mph speedos, while the 68 2000 used 160 mph speedo's.
I remember seeing the '69 & '70 2000's with 140 mph speedo.
All of these used the same calibration (the gear that fits
into the transmission was different on a 1600 & 2000 as they
had different rear end ratios).

Cheers,

Tom