Re: steering wheel restoration

To: "TIM WALTZ" <printner@msn.com>,
Subject: Re: steering wheel restoration
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 16:42:05 -0500
Tim,
There is a liquid two-part urethane called alumilite that is mixed 1:1,
pours like water, and cures with properties simliar to nlyon 6/6.  Very
tough stuff we use for casting prototypes in silicone rubber molds. I've
also used it for repairing auto interior parts - like the cracked console on
my Z.

www.alumilite.com  800-447-9344

They have a starter kit that's around $28
I gave some thought to fixing the cracks in my wheel before I decided to go
with a custom Grant wheel.

First I'd clean the cracks by washing with alcohol or lacquer thinner.
Cut some strips of aluminum foil ( epoxy and urethane won't stick ) slightly
wider than the cracks.  Wrap the foil tightly, around the rim, then take
some wide tape, maybe vinyl ( majic brand ) and wrap it it around the foil
covered cracked sections, careful not to stretch the tape as it will "sink"
into the cracks.

Then, using an e-xacto knife, cut a small hole through the tape at the
outside edge of the rim, in the center of the crack.  Prop the rim stable
with the hole up, mix up the alumilite, and pour it in till it just domes
out the hole.  The alumilite will cure in about 5 min., enough to remove the
tape and foil.

Continue on to the next crack.  Let cure for an hour or so, prime, sand, and
paint.  Any air bubbles, depressions, etc. can be filled with more alumilite
by applying drops from the end of a stick ( the kit includes tongue
depressors) prior to priming.  The urethane will stick VERY well to most
surfaces, so keep that in mind when dressing for the occasion.

The stock Alumilite color is a light tan, but they also make it in colors.
Might want to order the black.

Mark Sedlack
Millenium Development Corp.
OROC