Re: [RE: SR20 ]

To: "Hall Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@MSFC.NASA.GOV>,
Subject: Re: [RE: SR20 ]
From: Michael Shimniok <michael.shimniok@usa.net>
Date: 11 Dec 2001 16:46:08 MST
"Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@MSFC.NASA.GOV> wrote:
> So, \/ /\ /\/ (wish I could do that with Phil:)  how much HP could a non
> turbo SR20 make.  I heard 300 - true?

Unless you want to spend a fortune, I vote "false." :)

Based on my reading on the SE-R list, SERCA website, etc, figure on 170hp or
so with the standard bolt ons (chip, intake, exhaust).  The right cams would
get you the most increase but would sacrifice drivability the most, I think.

For what it's worth, 140hp in a 2500# SE-R classic is fun (at 5200' altitude).
 I have to believe a 2000# roadster would be a fair bit quicker.  Maybe you
should consider a 2.5L, V6, or SR20DET.

Other notes that you probably know already, the 91-93(94?) motors rev up to
7500rpm (whee) but later motors have a far lower rev limiter something like
6500rpm (ugh).  As far as I can tell the debate of low port head versus high
port head is unresolved.  I'd probably do a high port as it was first and it
is unlikely that Nissan would up the hp and if they did, one would expect them
to gleefully change their ratings.

Michael
1993 Sentra SE-R
1968 2000