RE: OT Cordless power tools

To: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Subject: RE: OT Cordless power tools
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:45:02 -0600 (CST)
It all depends on how thick the fiberglass is.  For fiberglass sheet, like
that used in green houses and patio covers I use my standard circular saw,
but I put the blade on backwards. This way it wears through the material,
rather than trying to take a bite out of it and cracking it.

As to what cordless tools I use, I have been using a 14.4V DeWalt for
years without any problems (except when I dropped the saw 29' to the floor
while framing a roof!

My wife and I both volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, both of us leading
home construction. Most of the time we both have homes under construction
and used to fight over who got to use the cordless saw/drill set, so last
Christmas I bought her her own, now we have his and hers sets!

The higher the voltage on the tool, the more it weighs, but also the more
torque it puts out. We find that 14.4V drills, or even 12V drills have
more than enough power for most jobs. (When wiring a house I break out the
corded 1/2" right angle drill to turn the larger bits). The 14.4V saw is
reasonable, but does bog down in treated/wet lumber. I have used the 18V
and 24V saws and would say that going to 18V for the saws is a good bet,
but the drills are a bit heavier than I prefer.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner