Re: Driveline Rebuild

To: "Ed Wilsey" <Kensington_FC@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Driveline Rebuild
From: "James M Koken" <james.m.koken@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 14:05:35 -0800
If the engine runs ok, good compression (consistent) good power, doesn't
burn oil
(a little is ok) then leave it alone.  If you do a rebuild, then its best to
go all the way. that includes: valve job, head resurfaced, guides checked
and replaced if necessary, valves checked and replaced if necessary,  block
boiled and checked for cracks, cylinders bored over (.020-.030), new
pistons, rings, crank checked and reground if necessary, new bearings and
seals. If you farm the whole thing out, it can cost up to $1500 (?) or more
depending on the shop and the components used. Many times good bearings and
rings are available on ebay. The shop work will be expensive though. Try to
use some one familiar with aluminum heads, and has some experience with
Datsuns/Nissan.
Good Luck
Mike Koken
Roadster REpairs in Colo. Springs