Re: info sr20

To: Ronald Mistak <remfender@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: info sr20
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 16:50:56 -0600
Ron,

Lots of possibilities if you are no longer keeping it stock.

While the old L16/L18 were good transplants, those engines are
getting harder to find.

More modern engines would be along the lines of a SR16DE or KA24DE.
The SR16DE RWD being a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) item. Micheal
Spreadbury had a nice SR20DE in his '67 (?) roadster at Shasta
last year. He didn't fit the turbo SR20DET as not enough room
for the exhaust header & turbo, without a lot of custom fabrication

The KA24DE is found in the '93 and later 240SX. Decent motor if
you find a nice donor with everything.

Most of the work involves just getting the wiring harness spliced
in and sorted out. If you buy a JDM motor, best to make sure it
is from a good source and comes complete with engine, manifolds,
tranny, ECU, harness, etc...

So if you can custom make engine mounts, oil pan fabrication,
and other work...go for it!

For either I'd expect to pay around $1K to $2K for everything
needed for the swap, excluding labor.  Good article on swapping
in a SR20DET motor in a G20 in Sports Compact Car (has a good
side bar on replacing the connecting rod bearings and water
pump while the engine is out. Admitted it is  a FWD vehicle,
but gives an idea of the work involved.

Good luck with the engine search.

Cheers,

Tom