Re: Solex

To: KosmicKat2@home.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Solex
From: "Chris Robertson" <ckrobertson@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 10:29:07 -0600
Hi Bill,

I don't remember hearing that the Solexes' throttle bushings get worn like
the SU's do.  A simple way to test them is to spray carb cleaner at the
throttle shaft/carb area while idling.  If it is worn, the vacuum within the
carb will suck in the cleaner solution and your idle will change.  IIRC it
will drop in rpm, but just look for any change.  Oh, and be careful with
that carb cleaner.  It will remove paint quite easily and can turn a nicely
painted block into an ugly one...ask me how I know!

If they pass that test, it may need different idle jets.  I will see if I
can find the factory sizes.  Many people use diffenrent than factory, but it
is hard to find out this info for some reason.

The car sounds like a real find.  Have fun!

Chris Robertson