RE: kim's back, jackstands

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: kim's back, jackstands
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@home.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:45:57 -0800
I have the same feeling about getting under a car. Since most cars are more than
I can bench press, I'm pretty cautious. After I get the car up in the air, I
check all jackstands to make sure they are solidly on the ground on all legs.
Then I give the car a good shake (they'll usually move some, but not too much).
I also leave the floor jack under the car as a backup "just in case."

BTW, another tip: when you jack up the front, keep the hand brake on and let the
floor jack "walk" back as the car goes up. Then release the hand brake before
you jack up the rear. When the rear end droops, it tightens up the handbrake
cable and can make it difficult to release. As you jack up the rear, make sure
the jack "walks" forward. If it doesn't, it usually means that your front
jackstands are tipping back towards you - not a good thing!

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA