Re: Fwd: carb question

To: Keith0alan@aol.com, Autox <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fwd: carb question
From: Paul Bauman <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:56:56 -0800
Keith:

It's a free-floater float. I put in a new set of plastic floats during
the restore and thought that maybe one was a sinker, so I replaced it
with the original brass one. That did no good. The hinge pin and lever
on the floatbowl cover I buffed up with 600 grit sandpaper and it seems
to move as easily as the one in the rear carb all through its travel.

I have glass bowl fuel filter that is backed up by a disposable in-line
and there is no junk in the glass bowl or the carb floatbowl.

This problem will clear up after the engine runs about ten minutes or
less, but a puddle of gas on the driveway is a little unnerving.

Keith0alan@aol.com wrote:

> Try swapping the floats. Double check the float level. Make sure there is no
> foreign material in the lines. Is this a free float like the 1600s or a
> hinged one like the 2000? If hinged make sure the float is not sticking. If
> it sticks toward the bottom of it's travel if would only leak when the float
> bowl is fairly empty.
>
>                                            keith williams
>

>>I've got an SU problem that's really starting to 'Z' me off.
>>
>>Every once in a while, normally after the car sets one or two days, the
>>front carb will overflow when I start the car. I've adjusted the float,
>>tried the original needle and a Grosse jet, changed floats and sprinkled
>>a little chicken blood on the floatbowl for good measure! The problem
>>will clear up after the engine warms up and it only happens once in a
>>while.
>>
>>This one has got me.
>>
>>Paul Bauman
>>Westminster, CA
>>67 1600

> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:10:41 -0800
> From: Paul Bauman <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
> To: Autox <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
> Subject: carb question
> Sender: owner-datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
>
> I've got an SU problem that's really starting to 'Z' me off.
>
> Every once in a while, normally after the car sets one or two days, the
> front carb will overflow when I start the car. I've adjusted the float,
> tried the original needle and a Grosse jet, changed floats and sprinkled
> a little chicken blood on the floatbowl for good measure! The problem
> will clear up after the engine warms up and it only happens once in a while.
>
> This one has got me.
>
> Paul Bauman
> Westminster, CA
> 67 1600