68 2 litre back on the road!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 68 2 litre back on the road!
From: "James M Koken" <james.m.koken@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:18:05 -0700
Dear All
Returned the 68 2 litre I've been working on for 3 months to the owner on Fri.
The car had not run in over 10 years without major problelms,i.e. broken cams,
etc.  Thanks to all who helped with parts (Mark , Gary,Miike and others) and
advice on the cam tower problems. They seemed to be solved, the last check
showed no unusual wear and the chain was tight thanks to two sets of shims
from Stan. Oil pressure was way up, temp was normal,  car  actually ran real
well.
The owner was not there when I delivered the car, but I got a call later and
Jose said he was absloutely thrilled  to have his "Baby" back. You forget how
much these cars mean to people and the memories they hold.
 I didn't really know what to say since he had lost his daugher to leukimia
last month. Seemed like the least someone could do.
It was very frustrating to be constantly correcting poor workmanship, from
previous mechanics, but the end result was great. !
Thanks again to all who offered assistance,
Mike Koken
Colo. Springs.
By the way, If anyone is interested in the Sylvia at the USAFA near my house
let me know and I'll go have a look. I did talk to the owner a few weeks
ago.He was the 2nd to own the car, but not a Datsun nut,so not terribly
knowledgable about the car.