Smothering fish.

To: Datsun list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Smothering fish.
From: Susan and Mark Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:18:34 -0700
Alex Avery wrote:

> Uh, it's not pretty nasty to be dumping on your lawn, dude. They use
it at
> airports to deice planes--in huge quantities.  Ethylene glycol is
harmless
> to plants and soil bacteria.  It's not a persistant pollutant, it is
> readily digested by lots of stuff, so dumping it on your lawn is a way
> let nature break it down.  The EPA says "Ethylene glycol appears to
> represent a low hazard to the environment" for the above reasons.  It
takes
> over 100 grams/milliliter to be toxic to fish.

At 100 grams per milliliter I don't doubt that fish wouldn't like it.
That's about 99% glycol.  Most of the fish I've met prefer water.

Seriously, thanks for the info.  Makes sense.  Our local water and
garbage companies tells us to just toss it into the toilet so it is
treated with the rest of the sanitary sewer waste.  If it was nasty
they'd have us take it to the toxic pickup.

Ob Roadster content:  after sitting on my butt and allowing my roadster
to sit in the driveway Mike Young took it to his hospital today.  Can't
wait to get it back.

Mark Miller
Alameda, CA
69 RHD Fairlady 2000, w. solexes - which might just make it to Shasta
next year. . . .