Re: Pertronix Debate

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Pertronix Debate
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:02:57 -0500 (CDT)
When a distributor cam goes around it opens and closes a set of points.
Dwell is the expression of how much time the points are closed, expressed
in degrees of rotation of the crankshaft.

Points need to be closed for enough time to build up the magnetic field
in the coil so that when it colapses (points open) a large enough voltage
spike is generated, which is routed to the spark plugs.

Not enough dwell produces a weak spark.  Too much dwell overheats the
ignition coil.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner