Overheating update

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Overheating update
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 15:26:16 -0700 (PDT)
Sorry if I sent a message with no new info.  Slip of the keyboard.

I replaced the electric fan this morning with my old seven blade fan.
I haven't heard of this from anyone, but you can mount the fan
backwards, which offsets the fan enough to clear the pulley, belt and
just barely the alternator (GM single wire alternator in stock
location).  Blades still face the same way.  No spacer needed.

I didn't overheat but there were lots of bubbles under the thermostat
tower cap.  I paid an auto mechanic to analyze the cooling system to
see if there are exhaust gases.

They say I am not leaking exhaust gases into the coolant but my
radiator is about 2/3rds clogged.  The water pump is probably pushing
the water faster than it can get through the radiator which is either
pulling air in somewhere or beating it into a frenzy - I'm not quite
sure.

I just took the radiator to local radiator repair shop and they tell me
it is a good quality 3 row radiator core, so I'm hoping a good
cleaning/rodding/whatever is enough.  I'll find out tomorrow...

This all means, of course, that I probably didn't need to pull the head
the second time.

=====
Adam
'70 1600 SPL311-28181